Well, not only did I survive another incorrectly predicted Doom’s Day, but another year of holiday festivities as well! And now as I clear away the Christmas rubble and loosen another notch on my belt (oh who am I kidding, the belt is long gone), I really enjoy looking toward the fresh new year ahead of me. What will 2013 bring? The events of 2012 came as somewhat of a shock to me (just like most years before it), so no matter how hard I try to predict 2013, I suspect it, too, will be filled twists and turns.
One thing I know for sure — I hope it includes at least some of these! Here are my top 13 wish list travel destinations for 2013:
13. Aurora Borealis: OK, it’s not a destination, but I’ve yet to experience this magical light show up close. They say that with the 11-year solar cycle in full swing, some of the best places to see the Northern Lights are in March and September in Alaska, Northern Canada, Iceland, Norway or Scotland. Hmm, perhaps an Alaskan cruise is in my future.
12. New Orleans, LA: I come from a long blood line of jazz musicians … and foodies! This puts New Orleans at the top of my 2013 destination wish list. Between the music and culinary festivals, well I think Louisiana may turn out to be my personal paradise.
11. San Francisco, CA: I spent a few days in Frisco many years ago. Unfortunately, it was a business trip, so I wasn’t able to truly explore and enjoy all the city has to offer. I look forward to returning to see the sights and nightlife on my schedule.
10. New England Cruise: It’s strange really — I grew up in a waterfront home, and spent most of my childhood and early adulthood out on the open water as an avid boater. Yet I’ve never taken a real cruise. I mean a real cruise. I think for my first time I’d like to take a short New England cruise …perhaps to enjoy the changing colours of autumn while the sun shines its last rays of warm September air.
9. European River Cruise: Speaking of cruises, a European river cruise is definitely on my bucket list.I’ve been fortunate to have visiting more than a dozen or so countries throughout Europe, but to see some of the sights aboard a Star Clipper, for example, now that would be truly magical.
8. Swiss Alps Ski Trip: I was only 17 years old when I first visited Switzerland. As much as I would have loved to go with the others on that ski trip, it was just out of my financial grasp at that time. I don’t have many regrets in life, but missing out on the opportunity to ski the Swiss Alps is definitely one for the books. But since I can’t go back and change the past, I’ll just have to return and hit those Swiss slopes!
7. Australia/New Zealand: I think this destination is on nearly everyone’s list. Fortunately, I have a friend living in Christchurch, NZ, which gives me the perfect excuse to visit! They say New Zealand has one of the best climates in the world — I’ll check that out and let you know
6. Jamaica: Another tropical setting I’m very eager to visit, Jamaica‘s chill vibe really appeals. As does the food … mmm, jerk chicken! There’s something about the warm waters, white sandy beaches, and friendly, relaxed atmosphere that draws me to this destination. Frosty beverages, reggae music — oh ya, I think I’m really going to like Jamaica.
5. Caribbean Cruise: This one’s self-explanatory. I mean, c’mon, it’s a Caribbean cruise, who doesn’t have that on their travel wish list?
4. Africa: The local African Lion Safari and Busch Gardens’ Gorillas in the Mist just doesn’t cut it. A guided tour of Morocco, Johannesburg and the Victoria Falls of Zambia, now that’s what I’m talking about.
3. Egypt: While I’m in Africa, I might as well pop on over to see the pyramids! Granted, it may not happen in 2013 (never say never!) but this is, after all, a wish list. I’ve always been intrigued by Egypt’s rich, archaeological history — and so I eagerly await my chance to be in the presence of some of the oldest remains of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
2. Turks & Caicos: Beaches, beaches, beaches. The most spectacular beaches in the entire world. Need I say more?
1. Banff, Alberta: This one tops my list for a few reasons — one, because it’s so close to home in our very own beautiful Rocky Mountains. Two, because I’ve never skied the Rockies. And three, because my chance to go is right around the corner! This February or March I’m planning a great escape to Lake Louise for some much-anticipated time on the sunny slopes. I’ll keep you posted as that trip unfolds, don’t worry!
So that’s my top 13 travel destinations for 2013. What’s on your travel wish list for the coming year?