There are so many things to consider when planning a vacation other than the type of luggage that will accompany you on your adventure. But, it’s important to choose wisely and choose quality– after all, this piece of baggage will be carrying all of your vacation essentials. With the right luggage, you may avoid hassles such as baggage fees and damaged luggage for a less worrisome process.
It’s important to keep in mind the type of trip you’re taking and the type of activities you’ll be partaking in when determining which type of luggage to bring with you. The size you choose depends on your trip duration, what you want to bring, and airport restrictions if you’re flying.
Backpacks come in a variety of sizes and are a good option for those participating in outdoor activities or walking tours that require a hand-free option and for those able to pack light. While a backpack is good for hands-free mobility, it may hinder you in other ways because of its weight on your body. Ensure you invest in a high-quality backpack with organized compartments, sturdy straps, and good support. A duffle bag is another option that is available in larger sizes perfect for fitting sports gear or smaller sizes to fit in overhead plane compartments. Duffle bags with wheels are better for long distance use, whereas duffle bags without wheels are lighter and easier to store.
The more common and spacious suitcases are suited for business travel, family vacations, and longer duration travel. A hard-sided suitcase provides more protection for delicate possessions and can be water resistant, but it can crack throughout the travel process if the quality is low. Similarly, soft-sided suitcases may tear, so ensure you purchase a luggage made from quality material. The lighter, flexible material will allow for expansion, fitting more into your suitcase, and can be squeezed into the overhead compartment on a plane. For easier navigation, opt for 360 degree wheels that move more smoothly. Be wary of uneven terrain, stairs, and other surfaces on your vacation where a suitcase may not be the best option.
Don’t underestimate the benefits of travelling only with a carry-on luggage. Any of the above options are available in small enough sizes to fit in your plane’s overhead compartment. If you’re able to pack light, a convenient carry-on luggage relieves the stress of lost luggage, luggage fees, and the hassle of checking and retrieving your bags.
What to Look for
- Durability: Invest in good quality luggage that will remain intact throughout your journey.
- Expandability: Your luggage must be able to fit all your needs. You may want to leave some extra space for new purchases.
- Storage Compartments: To optimize space and ensure organization, find a luggage with pockets and zippers to suit your needs.
- Familiarize yourself with size restrictions for all carry-on and checked luggage to avoid baggage fees or unexpectedly having to check your carry-on.
- Ensure your luggage has secure and clearly-written ID tags attached.
- Luggage with a unique colour or pattern will be faster and easier to find on the conveyer belt.